2 lbs. of ground beef or turkey
1 onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 red and 1 green bell pepper, both diced
1 cup of carrots, finely diced
1 cup of celery, diced
1 jalapeno, minced
(1) 28-ounce can of crushed or stewed tomatoes
(1) 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes
(1) 15-ounce can of tomato sauce
3 tbsp. of chili powder
1 tbsp. of oregano
1 tbsp. of basil
2 tsp. of cumin
1 tsp. of salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. of cayenne
garnish (optional but highly recommended!)
about 4 strips of cooked bacon, crumbled
1 or 2 avocados, diced
1. Sauté onions and garlic together in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add in ground beef (or turkey) to the saucepan and cook just until browned. Drain excess fat.
3. Transfer the cooked onions, garlic and meat to your crockpot/slow-cooker. Add all the above vegetables and spices (except garnish ingredients) to the crockpot.
4. Give the pot a good stir. Set crockpot to LOW, cover, and slow cook for about 6 hours. Spoon into individual bowls. Garnish with crumbled bacon and avocado slices. Serve hot.