4 ounces pancetta, chopped (or center cut bacon)
1 tablespoon butter (or olive oil)
1 large white onion, minced
2 celery stalks (about 3/4 cup), minced
2 medium carrots (about 3/4 cup), minced
2 pounds 95% lean ground beef
1/4 cup white wine
2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
3 bay leaves
salt and fresh pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup half & half cream
1. In a large deep sauté pan, sauté pancetta on low heat until the fat melts, about 4-5 minutes. Add butter, onions, celery and carrots and cook on medium-low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Increase flame to medium-high; add meat, season with salt and pepper and sauté until browned. Drain the fat then add wine; cook until it reduces down, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Add to crock pot. Add tomatoes, bay leaves, salt and pepper; cover and set slow cooker to LOW 6 hours.
4. After the 6 hours, adjust salt and pepper to taste, add half & half and parsley; stir and serve over your favorite pasta or spaghetti squash.
5. Nutrition Information Serves: 20 | Serving Size: 1/2 cup sauce Per serving: Calories: 143; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 48mg; Sodium: 145mg; Carbohydrate: 5g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 15g Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 452mg; Iron: 10%; Vitamin A: 30%; Vitamin C: 20%; Calcium: 2%