1 whole chicken
1 large onion
1 package baby carrots
1 bunch celery (any size)
2 tablespoons dried tarragon
2 tablespoons lemon zest
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place the chicken on a stable work surface.
2. Prepare your veggies. They will cook down considerably, so don’t worry too much about slicing them properly. Just chop them up roughly.
3. Place your veggies in a roasting pan or large baking dish. (You want something that is just a bit larger than the chicken).
4. In a small mixing bowl, mix your tarragon, lemon zest, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and olive oil.
5. Separate the skin from the meat by moving your fingers around under the skin. You’re not removing the skin, just separating it from the meat so you can get the spices under there. With your hand, rub the majority of your spice mix under the skin, covering as much of the bird as possible. Rub the remaining spice mix all over the rest of the outside of the bird.
6. Place on top of your veggies and put the whole pan into the preheated oven. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes. It should have a nice golden glow at this point. Loosely, lay a large piece of foil over the top to prevent any further browning (burning) and continue cooking until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 180 degrees F. (About 50-60 minutes in total – This will vary from oven to oven).
7. Allow to cool, remove skin, carve and serve.