about 2 medium zucchini
2 tablespoons (30 ml.) olive oil, divided
1/2 pound (225 g.) peeled and de-veined shrimp
3 large cloves garlic, minced or crushed
1/2 cup mixed peepers sliced
3 green onions, sliced
about 2 cups (480 ml.) bean sprouts
1/3 cup (80 ml.) roasted peanuts
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
few lime wedges for serving (optional)
2 tablespoons (30 ml.) rice vinegar or distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons (30 ml.) fish sauce or to taste
3 tablespoons (45 ml.) ketchup
1 teaspoon (5 ml.) packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1 small red chili, sliced
1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce, or to taste
1. Make the sauce: in a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients (vinegar, fish sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, chili garlic sauce), then set aside.
2. Cut the zucchini into noodles or long pasta by using a vegetable spiralizer - you can get it in amazon
3. For slow cooker: in a slow cooker, place the prawns add 1 tablespoon of olive oil at the bottom and pour the Pad Thai sauce on top of it. Add garlic and 3 of the chopped green onions. Cook on low for 3 hours. About hour before end time can add the veggies (zoodles and everything else). Optional before serving -top it with chopped peanuts, green onions and bean sprouts.
3. As a stir fry. Heat a large pan on medium high heat. Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil (reserve the other half for later). Then add zucchini noodles and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the zucchini noodles are tender. Don't overcook the noodles. The zucchini noodles should be slightly crunchy with a tender bite.
4. Remove the noodles from the pan and drain the excess water.
5. Carefully wipe the same pan to remove the excess water, and then re-heat the pan on medium high heat. Add the remaining olive oil and garlic add prawns and cook until is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
6. Add peppers and green onions. Cook for about 1-2 minutes or until tender. Add the zucchini noodles back into the same pan, and then add the sauce. Cook for about 1 more minutes or until the zucchini noodles are heated through. Then stir in the bean sprouts. You can serve it with roasted peanuts, and lime wedges.