1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
2 cups water
2 cups half & half
4 cups chicken stock
1 large broccoli head, chopped
4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
1 tbsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt
8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
1. In a large saucepan, or stockpot, melt butter or medium heat.
2. Slowly add in flour to melted butter, whisking constantly until roux forms and it is smooth, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Slowly pour in water and half & half, stirring to prevent lumps, until well combined.
4. Stir in chicken stock and let simmer over medium low heat for 15-20 minutes, or until it is thickened up.
5. Add in chopped broccoli, bacon, pepper and salt and continue cooking over medium low heat for another 15-20 minutes or until broccoli is cooked through and tender.
6. Add in cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
7. Top with additional bacon pieces and shredded cheese, if desired.
8. Serve immediately in a soup bowl or a bread bowl for added fun. Nutritional Info Calories 305 Calories from Fat 226 Total Fat 25.1g Saturated Fat 14.9g Trans Fat 0.0g Cholesterol 72mg Sodium 676mg Potassium 248mg Total Carbohydrates 9.9g Dietary Fiber 1.1g Sugars 1.1g Protein 11.2g