3 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cans (15 ounces each) pear halves, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5-inch loaf pans.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, baking soda, and nutmeg and set aside.
3. In a separate mixing bowl using an electric mixer on high speed, beat together the sugar, oil, butter, and vanilla until well blended. Add eggs one at a time beating well with each addition. The mixture will begin to thicken and be a light lemon color.
4. Stir the mixture into the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Fold in the pears.
5. Spoon batter into prepared loaf pans. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Remove from oven and cool in pans for 10 minutes, then turn out loaves and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. Wrap each loaf in foil and let stand overnight in a cool dry place before serving.