4 large calamari, with tentacles
5 oz. kale, washed and chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, minced
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp. dried oregano
14 oz. tomato puree
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Separate the calamari tentacles from the bodies. Finely chop the tentacles, and set aside.
2. Melt some cooking fat in a skillet placed over a medium heat and sauté the garlic and onions.
3. Add the bell pepper and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chopped tentacles and cook for another 5 to 8 minutes.
4. Add the kale to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until the kale has softened; then remove the mixture from the heat.
5. Fill up each calamari with an equal amount of the filling, and close them up with toothpicks.
6. Now over a medium-high heat, melt some more cooking fat in the same skillet.
7. Add the stuffed calamari to the skillet and brown all sides, about 2 minutes per side.
8. Pour the tomato puree into the saucepan. Add the parsley, oregano, and season with salt and pepper to taste, and give everything a gentle stir.
9. Lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 35 to 40 minutes.
10. Adjust the seasoning and serve.