1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 large tomatoes, diced
1 large eggplant, cubed
1 lb. zucchini, diced
1/2 lb. yellow squash, diced
2 sprigs thyme
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
7-8 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
1. Heat the olive oil and garlic in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until the garlic is fragrant and starts to brown.
2. Add in the onion and bell pepper. Cover and cook for 8-9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are wilted.
3. Remove the lid and sauté until the onions start to brown.
4. Add the tomatoes, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes or until soft. Stir in the eggplant, zucchini, squash, and thyme.
5. Generously sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
6. Once the vegetables are soft, remove the lid. Let simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated.
7. Remove the sprigs of thyme and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
8. Stir in the fresh basil and parsley right before removing the pan from the heat. Top with additional fresh herbs to serve if desired.