1.25 litres chicken stock (5 cups, 2.6 pints)
1 chicken breast about 175g/6oz
75-100g, 3.5oz noodles – egg or rice
100g, 3.5oz sweetcorn – fresh or frozen
3 shiitake mushrooms – fresh or dried
2 spring onions shredded
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp Shoxing wine or dry sherry
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh root ginger, chopped or grated
extra light soy sauce for serving
1. Poach the chicken – Pour water into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the chicken breast, ginger and garlic. Reduce heat and gently simmer for 20 minutes, until the chicken is tender.
2. Remove the chicken breast. Allow it to cool slightly then shred.
3. Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions.
4. In a clean pan, add the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and add the shredded chicken, corn, mushrooms, half the spring onions and the soy sauce and Shoxing wine. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
5. Divide the noodles between 4 bowls, then ladle the soup over the noodles to serve. Can season with light soy sauce.