1-1.2 kg pumpkin (squash), peeled and diced
2 large carrots, peeled and grated
2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
Seasoning 1 tsp each ground cumin
1.5/6 cups litres stock (vegetable)
Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
salt flakes and freshly ground pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F
2. Cut the pumpkin into cubes. Toss the cubes in some EVOO and add seasoning. Place in a roasting dish, and bake for 30-35 minutes. Roasting the pumpkin first gives the soup a lovely flavour.
3. While the pumpkin’s cooking, prepare all your other ingredients. Add 1-2 tbsp of stock or EVOO to a large saucepan/casserole dish and very gently on low heat, sweat your onions for 15-20 minutes with the lid on. You want to cook them slowly over low heat so they release their sugars and become sweet. You don’t want to burn them or have them catch on the pan.
4. When the pumpkin is ready, add it to the onions followed by the carrots, tomatoes, and stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes until the carrot is soft.
5. Use a hand blender to puree the soup to your desired consistency. Season. Garnish with fresh parsley.