2 cups Non-dairy milk – Soy, Almond, Rice, Oat
2-3 heaped tablespoons cornflour
3 tablespoons honey
1 vanilla bean split
1. Mix the cornflour with 4 tablespoons of milk until you get a smooth paste.
2. Heat the rest of the milk and the honey.
3. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add both the seeds and pod to the milk. Continue to heat until it nearly reaches a boil.
4. Add the cornflour mixture, and simmer gently for 1-2 minutes, then remove from the heat. Stir through the vanilla extract now if you didn’t use a vanilla pod.
5. To get the yellow colour that egg yolks normally give the custard, soak a couple of strands of saffron in hot water and stir the coloured water through the custard, or add a sprinkle of paprika.
6. Leave the custard to cool slightly or chill. Remove the vanilla pod before serving.