1kg cauliflower florets, roughly chopped
4 cups (1 litre) of vegetable stock
2-3 large cloves of garlic, sliced or crushed
1 large brown onion, diced
1-2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Salt flakes and ground white pepper
Spices 1 heaped tsp curry powder
1. Fry the onion, garlic, salt & pepper in a little oil or water over low heat until softened.
2. Add the cauliflower and curry powder (if using) and sweat over low heat for about 10 minutes. The browning of the cauliflower is essential for the flavour of this soup.
3. Add the stock and bring the soup to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered for about 15 minutes or until the cauliflower is very soft.
4. Use a hand blender to process the soup to the desired consistency. Stir through the mustard for added flavour (optional).
5. Garnish the soup with some croutons, toasted slivered almonds, or some grated nutmeg. For a creamier soup, stir through some non-dairy milk.