2 cups plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon (pinch) salt
1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons lemon zest
juice to make more lemony (juice from 3 lemons)
¼ cup macadamia oil
1 ¼ cups buttermilk (non-dairy milk + 1tbsp white vinegar)
1 egg (1 egg white + 1 tsp ground flaxseeds)
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 180oC.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
3. In a smaller bowl combine the lemon juice, zest, egg, oil, buttermilk and the vanilla. Mix well.
4. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, and stir just until moistened. Do not over mix. The batter will be fairly thick.
5. Divide batter evenly into 12 paper-lined or greased muffin cups – use ¼ cup scoop. Bake muffins on rack in the middle of the oven for 18-25 minutes, until muffins test done.
6. Allow muffins to cool in pan for about 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.