24 large green prawns, shelled
225g can bamboo shoots
handful of green/snake beans
Coconut Milk Replacement (mix together)
1 cup non-dairy milk
1 tsp coconut essence
1 tbsp cornflour
1-2 tbsp Thai curry paste (green, red, Penang)
4 kaffir lime leaves, torn to release aroma
2 blocks palm sugar (1 1/2 tbsp)
2-3 tsp Thai fish sauce
Sweet Thai basil, fresh coriander, shredded chilli
Steamed jasmine rice to serve
1. Cook the jasmine rice according to packet instructions or use a rice cooker.
2. Heat the wok and gently fry the curry paste until aromatic, about 1 minute
3. Make tears in the kaffir lime leaf from the edge to the stem and add to curry paste (this adds an authentic Thai taste to the curry)
4. Add large green prawns and stir fry until opaque, about 2-3 minutes
5. Add the coconut milk replacement, fish sauce and palm sugar and heat until the sauce has thickened slightly (don’t boil rapidly).
6. Add the bamboo shoots, beans and any other vegetables and heat until cooked, about 2-3 minutes.
7. Remove the kaffir lime leaves, and serve the curry with jasmine rice.
8. Garnish with Thai basil, coriander or sliced chilli.