500g frozen spinach
2 free-range eggs, beaten
a pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1 clove garlic, crushed
100 grams of fresh breadcrumbs
salt & freshly cracked pepper
400 g rigatoni
2 zucchini, trimmed and finely grated
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1. To make the spinach balls, put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well to combine (use your hands). Roll the mixture into walnut size balls – you should get 24 (6 balls per person)
2. Gently shallow fry the spinach balls in some EVOO in 2 batches, turning until golden. Drain on paper towel and place on a baking tray in a low oven to keep warm while you cook the pasta. Alternatively, you could spray them with EVOO and bake them in the oven if you don’t want to fry.
3. Cook the pasta in a saucepan of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente.
4. While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce. Fry the garlic and chilli in a little oil for about a minute until fragrant (don’t let the garlic brown). Add the zuchinni and cook over low heat until it starts to soften, about 5-6 minutes.
5. To serve, drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Toss to combine. Divide the pasta into 4 bowls then top with 6 spinach balls each. Season.