400g firm white fish
Plain flour for coating (1/4 cup)
Dried/Panko breadcrumbs for coating (1/3 cup)
Extra-virgin olive oil
Sauce – tomato, tartare
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220C.
2. Peel the potatoes. Cut into chips or wedges. Pat dry the potatoes and put them in a bowl. Drizzle over 1-2 tbsp of oil and toss to coat thoroughly.
3. Heat a baking tray in the oven for 5-10 minutes until it is hot. Tip the chips/wedges onto the tray and spread in a single layer. Cook for 40 minutes until crisp. Do not try to turn them for at least 25-30 minutes.
4. Crumb the fish Pat the fish dry. Set up 3 plates or bowls – flour, breadcrumbs and the lightly beaten egg. Coat the fillets in flour. Dip them into the egg (egg white) then coat them in breadcrumbs.
5. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Spray or drizzle the fish with oil, then bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
6. Add the fish to the oven after the chips have been in for 30 minutes so they are ready at the same time. Reduce heat to 200C. Alternatively shallow fry the fish in a little EVOO for 3-4 minutes each side, until the crumbs are golden brown and the fish is cooked through.
7. Serve with a simple side salad, oven baked chips, and sauce.