1 cup (400g) risotto rice
4 cups (1 litre) chicken
150ml dry white wine
1 medium onion, diced
I clove garlic, crushed or diced
1 chicken breast (240g)
200g mushrooms such, sliced
2-3 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Poach Chicken Bring a saucepan of water to boiling point, reduce heat to gentle simmer (just a few bubbles). Add chicken breast and simmer for 20 minutes, remove and shred when cool enough to handle.
2. Fry Mushrooms – fry sliced mushrooms in a pan with a little EVOO or water until cooked (about 5 minutes)
3. Risotto – Heat the stock in a small saucepan so it is hot when you add it to the risotto. Heat a heavy based wide saucepan. Sweat the onion in a little EVOO for 5-8 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another 3-4 minutes over low heat.
4. Add the rice, and stir to coat with the oil and onion mixture. Add the wine and cook until it has evaporated.
5. To cook the risotto, add 1-2 ladleful’s of stock at a time. Cook, stirring until the rice has absorbed the stock and is needing more. This process takes about 20 minutes and you will use about 750ml of stock. Then add one more ladleful of stock, the shredded chicken, and the cooked mushrooms. Give the risotto a good stir, cover the saucepan, turn off the heat and allow it to rest for 5 minutes.
6. Serve with some fresh parsley, salt & pepper.