1 medium fennel bulb, with stalks
43 1/2 Ounces chicken broth
10 Ounces frozen peas, slightly thawed
2 Teaspoons shallots, roughly chopped
1/2 Cup heavy cream
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh mint
1. Coarsely chop fennel and place in a large saucepan.
2. Add broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, until fennel is very soft. Strain broth into a large bowl and set aside.
3. In a blender, starting on low speed and increasing to high, purée peas, shallots and fennel, using reserved fennel broth to about 1-inch under the solids (depending on size of blender, this may take 2 to 3 batches).
4. Soup should be smooth and thick, but still have some texture.
5. Place soup back into saucepot on medium heat and bring to a simmer. Finish with cream, mint and season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve hot or chill in an airtight container until cold.