170 g unsalted butter (softened)
150 g unrefined golden caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
300 g plain white flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
40 g unrefined light muscovado sugar (filling)
1 tbsp butter (unsalted) (melted) (filling)
1 tbsp ground cinnamon (filling)
3 tbsp milk (whole)
120 g unrefined golden icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. To make the biscuit dough, beat together the sugar and butter until smooth and creamy.
2. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat for a few seconds before adding the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Continue to beat the mixture until it begins to form a dough
4. Remove the dough from the bowl and wrap in cling film then chill in the fridge for 30 minutes
5. When the dough is almost ready to be removed from the fridge, melt some butter and mix your cinnamon and caster sugar together in a separate bowl.
6. Divide your dough into two and return one half to the fridge whilst you roll out the first batch.
7. Flour your surface and rolling pin before rolling your dough out into a rectangle approximately 8/9 inchs long. You may want to trim the dough with a knife to create a straight rectangle shape. The remaining dough can be rolled out to make additional biscuits if you want to avoid waste.
8. Using a pastry brush, brush half of the melted butter all over the rectangle of dough and then generously sprinkle half of the sugar and cinnamon mixture on top. You can use your hands to spread out the flavour sugar to ensure that the whole of the dough is covered.
9. Once covered begin to roll the dough up (similar to a swiss roll). You will need to roll the dough horizontally so that the longer side is being rolled towards you.
10. Wrap the dough once more in cling film and return to the fridge to chill for at least a further 2 hours.
11. Repeat this process with the remaining half of the dough.
12. Once the two rolls of dough have chilled, unwrap them and using a sharp knife slice into circles approximately 1cm in thickness.
13. Place them on a baking tray, allowing plenty of room around each biscuit so that they don’t touch should they spread in the oven.
14. Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C/150°C fan /gas mark 3 for 10-12 minutes.
15. For a finishing touch, make up some icing, by mixing icing sugar, milk and vanilla extract and then lightly drizzling over the top of the biscuits.