2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
3 tbsp sesame oil
105 g plain white flour
2 ½ tsp cornflour
105 g golden caster sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C / Gas Mark 4 and prepare a baking sheet with greaseproof paper. Create thin stips of paper no greater than 1 cm wider and 5 cm long and write or print your personalised fortunes.
2. Whisk together the egg whites, vanilla bean paste, oil and a splash of water until it becomes light and fluffy.
3. Sift the flour, cornflour, salt and sugar into the egg mixture and continue to whisk until you reach a smooth consistency. This mixture will need to be chilled for at least an hour allowing the mixture to settle.
4. Remove the batter from the fridge and place a spoonful of the mixutre (using a teaspoon) on to the greaseproof paper. Uset the back of the spoon to spread out the mixture to a circle approximately 10cm. Repeat this process for another 2 cookies, allowing plenty of space between them when they bake. It is best to bake these cookies in small batches as you will need to shape them quickly once baked and if you bake too many some of them may set before you have a chance to shape.
5. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until they begin to become a golden colour.
6. Once baked carefully peel the cookies from the baking sheet. It is important that they are still soft so that they are easier to shape. Flip the cookies over and place the personalised message in the centre. Fold over the cookie to secure the message in place and pinch around the outside with your fingers to seal.
7. Place the folded edge of the cookie across the rim of a mug or a measuring cup and pull the pointed edges downwards so that one side of the cookie is inside the cup and one is over the outside. Hold the cookie in position for approximately 10 seconds and then place inside a small mug or cupcake tin so that the cookie holds its shape whilst setting.
8. Repeat this process until all of the cookie batter has been used.