125 g butter (unsalted) plus extra for greasing
175 g unrefined dark muscovado sugar
2 eggs (medium)
300 g plain white flour
1 tsp baking powder
150 ml milk (whole)
3 bananas (ripe, peeled and mashed)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp poppy seeds
75 g sultanas
150 g butter (unsalted)
300 g unrefined golden icing sugar
handful banana chips
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan, 350°f, gas mark 4). Lightly grease a 25x11cm (1ox4.5inch) loaf tin with butter.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl using an electric hand whisk until smooth. Add one of the eggs and beat in well, then add the second and continue to beat well. Sift in half the flour with the baking powder and mix well. Mix in the milk then the remaining flour.
3. Fold the mashed bananas into the mixture along with the vanilla extract, poppy seeds and sultanas. Then tip the mixture into the loaf tin and level to the top with a spatula.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for around 1 hour 15 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean and not sticky. Cover the top with foil if it starts to brown too quickly. Allow to cool in the tin for at least 20 minutes before turning out.
5. For the topping, cream the butter and sift the icing sugar in using an electric hand whisk, mixing together until creamy and fluffy. Spread over the cake and garnish with the banana chips and dust with icing sugar.