175 g butter (unsalted) (melted)
175 g unrefined golden caster sugar
1 tsp almond extract
3 eggs (separated)
175 g self-raising white flour
350 g plum(s) (firm, stoned and halved)
unrefined golden icing sugar (to finish)
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan, gas mark 5). Grease and line a baking tin approx 11 x 7 inch. Whisk the sugar and melted butter together until light.
2. Add the almond extract and gradually beat in the egg yolks, one at a time.
3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and gradually fold into the mixture, alternately with the flour.
4. Spoon into the prepared tin and level the surface.
5. Arrange the plum halves on top, skin side down.
6. Bake for about 35-45 minutes until risen and golden.
7. Remove from the oven and sift over a layer of icing sugar. Allow to cool in the tin.
8. Serve warm as a pudding with whipped cream or ice cream.