400 ml sunflower oil (plus extra for greasing)
350 g almonds (ground)
300 g unrefined golden caster sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 lemon (zest only)
2 oranges (zest only)
2 tsplavender (dried)
2 oranges (juice only) (syrup)
100 gunrefined golden caster sugar (syrup)
3 cloves (syrup)
2 tsp cinnamon (syrup)
1 lemon (juice only) (syrup)
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC (fan 160ºC, gas mark 4). Grease a 20cm (8in) cake tin with extra oil, then base-line with baking paper.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the ground almonds, sugar and baking powder, mixing together well. Break in the eggs and add the oil, mixing gently together.
3. Using a fine grater, grate the zest from the lemon and oranges into the mixture then add the dried lavender and mix together.
4. Turn the cake mixture into the prepared tin, and bake in the preheated oven for an hour. Cover the top with a piece of foil after about 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, make the syrup. Squeeze the juice from the zested lemon and oranges into a small pan. Add the sugar and spices, and mix together well. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
6. Once the cake has been removed from the oven, pierce it several times with a skewer or small, sharp knife. Using a tablespoon, spoon the syrup over the cake, allowing it to soak in.