150 g plain white flour
1 tsp baking powder
110 g butter (unsalted)
110 g unrefined golden caster sugar
3 lemon(s) (finely grated zest and juice)
4 egg yolks
4 egg whites (meringue)
110 g unrefined golden caster sugar (meringue)
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (fan 160°C, gas mark 3). Grease and base line a 24 cm round deep cake tin. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
2. Cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy, then gradually beat in the egg yolks.
3. Beat in the flour mixture a little at a time with the lemon juice until well blended. Spoon into the prepared cake tin.
4. Whisk the egg whites and the salt until softly peaking, then gradually whisk in the golden caster sugar a little at a time, whisking continuously until the mixture is stiff and shiny.
5. Spoon evenly over the cake mixture. Place the tin on a low shelf in the oven as the meringue rises enormously as it cooks.
6. Cook for about 40 minutes until the cake is cooked through and the meringue is crisp and golden.
7. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin. The meringue will sink and pull away from the sides of the cake as it cools.