250 g self-raising white flour
200 g unrefined light muscovado sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs (large, beaten)
200 ml sunflower oil
2 bananas (small, mashed)
125 g carrots (finely grated)
50 g unrefined demerara sugar
85 g walnuts (chopped)
85 g raisins
50 g butter (unsalted) (softened)
100 g cream cheese
250 g mascarpone cheese
2 tsp vanilla extract
200 g unrefined golden icing sugar (sifted)
2 tbsp walnuts (chopped)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC (fan 160°C, gas mark 4). Grease and base-line a 24 cm springform (deep) circular cake tin.
2. Mix the flour, muscovado sugar and cinnamon in a bowl then gently stir in the eggs and oil.
3. Add the bananas, carrots, demerara sugar, walnuts and raisins folding in gently.
4. Spoon the mixture into the cake tin, smoothing the surface. Bake for 45–50 minutes or until skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
5. Place the tin on a wire rack for about 20 minutes then carefully remove the sides and place on a rack to cool.
6. For the icing, place the butter, cream cheese, mascarpone, vanilla and icing sugar in a food mixer and beat until smooth (or do by hand, beating rapidly until thick and smooth).
7. Cover the cake with the icing and then scatter over the nuts.