200 g hazelnuts (skinned)
500 g plums
200 g butter (unsalted) (at room temperature)
200 g unrefined golden caster sugar
200 g self-raising white flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs (beaten)
2 tbspunrefined demerara sugar
1. Heat the oven to 180°C (fan 160°C, gas mark 4). Line a 9 in round loose bottom or spring form cake tin with a circle of baking parchment.
2. Reserve 2 tbsp of the hazelnuts for decoration. Lightly grill the remaining hazelnuts until toasted, cool then blitz in a liquidizer until finely ground.
3. Roughly chop and stone half of the plums. Cut the remaining plums in half.
4. Beat the butter and sugar together until smooth and creamy, gradually beat in the egg adding a little flour if the mixture curdles.
5. Fold in the flour and baking powder, then stir in the ground hazelnuts and chopped plums. Spread into the cake tin and top with the halved plums.
6. Mix the reserved ground hazelnuts with the demerara sugar and sprinkle on top with the whole hazelnuts.
7. Bake for 40-45 mins until golden and firm to the touch. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from the tin, serve warm or cold. This cake will keep for 1-2 days in the fridge and can be served as a dessert or cake.