50 g butter (unsalted)
200 g unrefined light muscovado sugar
350 g rhubarb (fresh, trimmed and cut into 2 cm pieces)
2 tbsp stem ginger (finely chopped)
200 g plain wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
1 orange (zest only, finely grated)
200 ml buttermilk
2 eggs (medium sized)
80 ml vegetable oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan 160°C, gas mark 4). Grease and base line a 24 cm round tin.
2. Melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Stir in half the sugar, and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the rhubarb and ginger.
3. Pour this to the bottom of the prepared cake tin.
4. Mix together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and orange zest.
5. Whisk the remaining sugar with the buttermilk, eggs and oil. Add the flour mix and mix well. Pour over the rhubarb and smooth the surface.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cake springs back when pressed in the centre. Cool then invert on a serving plate. Serve warm with custard or cream.