3 eggs (separated)
3 tbsp hot water
90 g half spoon granulated sugar
50 g plain white flour
50 g cornflour
1 tsp baking powder
450 g double cream (light)
1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
300 g raspberries
icing sugar (to dust)
raspberries (a handful)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C, (160°C, gas mark 4). Grease two 8" sandwich tins.
2. Whisk together the egg yolks and hot water until foamy using an electric whisk.
3. Slowly add two thirds of the half spoon and continue whisking on a high speed until thick and creamy.
4. In a clean bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff, slowly adding the remaining half spoon 1 dessert spoon at a time, allowing 10 seconds between each addition.
5. Carefully fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture. Sift the flour, cornflour and baking powder over and carefully fold in.
6. Pour into the prepared tins and bake in the centre of a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until firm to the touch. Allow to cool.
7. For the filling beat together the cream and vanilla bean paste. Spoon half of the cream onto one of the sponges, top with raspberries and sandwich the second sponge on top.
8. Top with the remaining vanilla cream, fresh raspberries and a dusting of icing sugar.