50 g unsalted butter (softened)
50 g unrefined golden caster sugar
½ tsp rose water
1 orange zest
1 large free range eggs (lightly beaten)
50 g self raising white flour
1 tbsp whole milk
400 ml double cream (cream)
1 tsp rose water (cream)
1orange zest (cream)
1 tsp unrefined golden icing sugar (cream)
to dustunrefined golden icing sugar
a handful small mint leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan 160°C, gas mark 4). Lightly grease and dust with flour a 1 x 12 shell madeleine tin.
2. Using either an electric mixer or mixing bowl and whisk, cream the butter, sugar, rose water and orange zest together for a few minutes until pale and fluffy.
3. Reduce the whisk speed and add the egg and milk.
4. Once combined, fold in the flour until well mixed. When you are ready to bake, place a heaped tablespoon of batter into each madeleine shell and press a raspberry into the centre of each one.
5. Cook in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until they are a pale golden brown and springy to the touch. Leave the madeleines to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack.
6. Meanwhile, make the rose water cream. Whisk the double cream, icing sugar, orange zest and rose water until slightly thickened and store in the fridge until needed.
7. Once the madeleines are cool, dust with icing sugar. Serve with a few fresh mint leaves and the rose water cream on the side.