60 g unsalted butter (softened) (topping)
60 g unrefined light muscovado sugar (topping)
7 pineapple rings (tinned) (topping)
7 glace cherries (topping)
1 tsp vanilla extracts (topping)
110 g unsalted butter (softened)
110 g caster sugar
110 g self-raising white flour
1½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C / gas 4) grease a 20cm (8") circular cake tin and line the base with a circle of baking parchment.
2. For the topping, cream together 60 g of butter, 60 g light muscovado sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy, then spread across the base of the tin, on top of the parchment paper.
3. Arrange the circles of pineapple on top of the mixture in the tin and fill the centre of the circles with the glace cherries.
4. To make the cake batter, beat together all of the cake ingredients in a food mixer until light and fluffy. This might take a few minutes. Once it has reached the right consistency, spoon the batter on top of the pineapple mixture and use a pallet knife or back of the spoon to smooth out the mixture.
5. Bake the cake in the oven for 35 minutes, until golden in colour and baked throughout.
6. When you remove the cake from the oven, leave it inside the tin for approximately 10 minutes before turning it over and releasing. Allow to cool on a wire cooling rack before serving.