2 tbsp mixed seeds (sunflower, pumpkin & poppy)
125 g wholemeal bread flour
125 g white bread flour
1 tsp easy bake yeast sachet
1 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp ground flak seeds/lin seeds
1 tsp honey (or maple syrup)
160 m lwater (lukewarm)
1½ tbsp olive oil (plus extra for greasing)
1. Place the mixed seeds in a spice/coffee grinder or food processor and grind to a coarse powder, then set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, salt, flaxseeds, honey or maple syrup and the freshly ground seeds. Add the water and olive oil, then mix initially with a wooden spoon and then with your fingers to make a soft, slightly sticky dough, adding more water or flour if the dough seems either too dry or too wet.
3. Dust a worktop with flour and knead the dough for 10 minutes. Push the dough flat with the palm of your hand, fold the far edge over towards you and give it a half turn, then repeat. Place the dough in a clean bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes or until slightly risen.
4. Divide the dough into 15 pieces (about 30g/1¼oz each). Lightly grease your hands with a little olive oil and roll one piece of dough into a long, thin sausage shape. Repeat with the remaining dough, to make about 15 breadsticks in total. Place the breadsticks on two lightly greased baking sheets, cover with cling film and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
6. Brush the breadsticks with a little extra oil and bake in the oven for 15–20 minutes or until risen and lightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.