175 g plain white flour
50 g semolina
1½ tsp vanilla bean paste
50 g half spoon granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 lemon zest
28 g low fat margarine
1 large egg
1. Preheat oven to 150°C, (fan 130°C, gas mark 2). Place the flour and semolina in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the vanilla bean paste to the beaten egg.
3. Add the sugar, baking powder and lemon zest to the flour.
4. Mix in the low fat margarine and sufficient egg to form a soft dough. You may need to add a little milk to help the mixture bind.
5. Place the dough onto a floured surface and split into 4 parts. Roll each part into a long sausage shape and place onto a non-stick baking tray, spaced apart.
6. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and carefully lift the dough onto a chopping board. Using a heavy chopping knife slice the dough at a 45 degree angle at 2cm (1 inch) intervals.
7. Place the cut biscuits back onto the baking tray and cook for a further 15 minutes until crisp. Allow to cool then store in an air tight container.