2 1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 stick butter (very cold)
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
3/4 cup ham
1/4 cup pre-cooked bacon pieces
2 tablespoons chives
1. To make these ham and cheese scones, start by adding the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, garlic and onion powder to a large mixing bowl and whisking to combine.
2. Grab your cold stick of butter and grate your butter on a cheese grater or cut into small pieces and them move your butter to the freezer.
3. While your butter is chilling, chop your ham into bite sized pieces and dice your chives. Remove the butter from the freezer and add to the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter or a kitchen fork, work the butter into the flour mixture until you have no more large lumps of butter present.
4. Add in the buttermilk and sour cream and still to combine. Next add in the cheese, ham, bacon pieces and chives and using a large spoon or spatcula, stir to combine. Once mixed, transfer your scone dough to a large floured workspace. Your dough should be a bit wet and sticky so flour your hands. Shape your dough into a large circle about 10-12 inches wide and about 1 inch thick.
5. Using a sharp knife, cut into 8-10 wedges and then using a spatcula or pie server, scoop up the scone wedges and transfer to a parchment lined baking. Bake for 20 minutes in a preheated 425˚F oven.