½ cup full milk
¼ cup sugar, separated (2 teaspoons of sugar)
⅓ cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup warm water
1 package active dry yeast
2 eggs, at room temperature
3 - 3½ cups all purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar (filling)
1 tablespoon cinnamon (filling)
¼ teaspoon nutmeg (filling)
½ cup unsalted butter, melted (filling)
4 ounces cream cheese, softened (icing)
¼ cup unsalted butter, softened (icing)
1 - 1½ cups powdered sugar (icing)
1 to 2 tablespoons milk (icing)
½ teaspoon vanillas extract (icing)
1. In a small saucepan, heat milk, sugar (all but 2 teaspoons of the sugar) and butter together until sugar has dissolved and butter is melted. Turn off heat and let cool until lukewarm.
2. Meanwhile, in your mixing bowl add warm water, yeast and the 2 teaspoons of the remaining sugar. Let rest approx. 10 minutes until frothy.
3. Add milk mixture, eggs, and 3¼ cups of the flour to your yeast (add more flour if needed). Using your dough hook mix on low speed for 8-10 minutes, scraping down the bowl every so often, until dough is smooth and elastic.
4. Form dough into a ball and place in a greased (oil) large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest until doubled in size, approx. 1 - 1½ hours.
5. Once dough is doubled in size, place on a lightly floured work surface and punch dough down. Roll into a large rectangle approx. 15 inches x 9 inches.
6. Brush melted butter over the entire rectangle leaving about ½ inch from the edges.
7. In a small bowl mix together brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Spoon the sugar mixture over the butter and press down.
8. Starting at the long side of the rectangle (15 inch side), tightly roll into a log pinching seam to seal.
9. Using a serrated knife, cut rolls approximately 1 inch thick and place into a 9x13 baking dish.
10. Cover with plastic and let rest until doubled in size. Approx. 30-40 mins.
11. Meanwhile preheat your oven to 350˚F.
12. Once cinnamon buns have doubled in size place in the middle of your preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
13. Let cinnamon buns cool on a cooling rack before icing.
14. Make your icing. Add all ingredients together and whisk until light and fluffy. Start by using 1 cup icing sugar and 1 tablespoon milk. Add more milk or sugar to reach your desired consistency.