4 free-range eggs
4 free-range egg yolks
200g/7oz caster sugar
6 lemons, juice and zest of 3
150g/5oz unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1. Sterilise the jam jars - first wash the jars in soapy water and rinse in clean warm water. Preheat the oven to 140C/275F/Gas
1. Dry the jars, upside down, on a rack for 30 minutes.
2. Whisk the eggs and egg yolks in a large heatproof bowl until well combined. Add the sugar and stir in the lemon zest and juice. Add the butter and set the bowl over a saucepan of very gently simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
3. Stir the mixture with a wooden spoon for five minutes until the butter melts, then use a whisk to continuously stir the Ingredients: and cook for 10-12 minutes. The lemon curd should the consistency of custard and leaves a light trail when the whisk is lifted.
4. Pour the hot lemon curd into warmed, sterilised jars and leave to cool. Cover the curd with a disc of waxed paper or baking parchment and seal with a lid. Keep in the fridge and use within two weeks.