1 (10 oz.) box yellow cake mix
oil & water
2 (3.4 oz.) packages instant banana pudding
4 cups milk
1 (8 oz.) tub frozen whipped topping, thawed
20 vanilla wafers, crushed
1. Prepare cake mix according to package directions for a 9x13 cake.
2. Once cake comes out of the oven, allow it to cool for just a couple of minutes.
3. Then, with a wooden spoon handle or some other similarly-sized object, begin poking holes in the cake.
4. You want the holes to be fairly big so that the pudding has plenty of room to get down in there. Be sure to poke right down to the bottom of the cake.
5. In a bowl, whisk together instant pudding with 4 cups milk.
6. Stir until all the lumps are gone.
7. Let the pudding sit for just about 2 minutes, so it has just slightly begun to thicken but not fully set, it should still be easily pourable.
8. Pour pudding over cake. Taking care to get it into the holes as much as possible.
9. Spread it all out and using the back of the spoon gently push pudding down into the holes.
10. Put the pudding into the fridge to set and cool. Once your cake has completely cooled, spread on whipped topping.
11. Crush your vanilla wafers.
12. Leave some of the pieces big. It's nice to have a bit of a crunch when you eat the cake.
13. Spread crushed wafers onto the top of the cake. You can do this part immediately before serving the cake if you like.