8 chicken thighs (approx. 650 g/23 oz), cut into chunks (chicken)
4 tbs of cornstarch (or tapioca or arrowroot powder) (chicken)
salt and black pepper to season (chicken)
1 egg (chicken)
spray oil (chicken)
1 red onion, finely diced
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 red chilli, sliced
1/2 red pepper
1/2 green pepper
1 small carrot, julienned
1/4 cup (60ml) of chicken stock
1 tbs of soy sauce
1 tbs or rice vinegar
2 spring onions, sliced
2 tsp of fine sea salt (mix)
2 tsp of black pepper (mix)
2 tsp of Chinese five spice (mix)
2 tsp of honey (mix)
1. For the chicken. Add the chicken to a large bowl and season generously with salt and black pepper
2. Whisk the egg in a separate bowl and pour into the chicken, toss well to coat thoroughly and drain off the excess. Gradually sprinkle in the starch tossing as you do, until the chicken is well coated.
3. Add to the actifry, spray over the top with spray oil and set for 30 mins, until it is lovely and golden in colour (it may take slightly less or longer).
4. For the vegetables. Spray a frying pan or wok over a medium high heat with spray oil. Add the onion and garlic and fry for 1 minute to soften. Add the peppers and chilli and gradually add a little stock at a time, continuing tossing as you do, until it is all absorbed.
5. Add in carrots, soy sauce and rice vinegar and heat until it evaporates off.
6. For the salt and pepper mix. Mix the salt and pepper mix ingredients together in a bowl
7. When the chicken is done, sprinkle with some of the salt and pepper mix and turn back on the actifry, keep doing this with the salt and pepper mix, until it is seasoned to your liking.
8. Once it is to your desired taste. Add the chicken into the frying pan/wok with the vegetables and toss all together. Sprinkle with chopped spring onion and serve with basmati rice.