2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups sugar or erythritol
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup applesauce
2 tsp distilled white or apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 inch backing dish and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, erythritol or sugar, baking soda, salt, and unsweetened cocoa powder.
3. Add in the almond milk, vanilla extract, applesauce, and vinegar until the batter is uniform and no pockets of flour remain. Take care not to over stir. Scoop 1 cup of the batter into another bowl and set aside.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
5. Bake in the oven at 350°F for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting.
6. Meanwhile, add 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder and 3-4 tablespoon almond milk (one tablespoon at a time, adjusting as needed) to the reserved 1 cup batter and stir until combined.
7. Chill in the fridge until the cake is completely cool. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake and devour.