2½ cups all purpose flour / plain flour
1½ cups granulated sugar / caster sugar
4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1½ tsp baking soda
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup canola oil
3 cups grated carrots
½ cup raisins
16 oz. cream cheese, room temperature (frosting)
2 sticks / 1 cup of butter, room temperature (frosting)
3 tsp vanilla extract (frosting)
2 cups powdered sugar / icing sugar (frosting)
½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional) (frosting)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 9" cake pans.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract and canola oil. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir them together using a spatula until combined. Stir in the carrots and raisins. Pour into the three 9" cake pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
5. Beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract together until they are fully incorporated. Add the powdered sugar and mix until it is smooth and creamy. When frosting the cake, sprinkle the chopped nuts onto the frosting between the layers.