2 cups steel-cut (old-fashioned) or quick-cook oats
3 1/4 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-2 apples (Granny Smiths), peeled, cored and diced
1/2 tablespoon butter
1/2 tablespoon all-natural honey
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
milk (any type), optional
1. In a medium pan, melt butter over medium-high heat and add apples. Stir in cinnamon, brown sugar and nutmeg, and cook until apples are soft. About 8 minutes.
2. Add honey and cook until it is blended into the sauce. Turn off heat.
3. In a large saucepan, bring water, oats and salt to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
4. Pour oatmeal into a bowl and top with spiced apples. Serve hot.
5. Optional: pour milk over the top to cool oatmeal and add more flavor and creaminess.