2 large single boneless skinless chicken breast halves
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 tbsp spelt flour, divided
4 cups mushrooms, sliced or quartered
1 small onion, chopped
3 tablespoons butter, divided
2 cups cubed pumpkin
2½ cups vegetable or chicken broth
½ cup coconut cream (canned)
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1. Cut each chicken breast into 2 thinner halves. Slice each one into 2 thinner fillets. Sprinkle them with salt, freshly ground pepper, and thyme. Place in large ziploc bag. Drizzle with1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix thoroughly. Then add 2 tablespoons of flour and thoroughly coat the fillets in it. Set aside.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts, cook for about 2 minutes without stirring until lightly browned on bottom.
3. Turn each fillet, frying for about 2 minutes until lightly browned on that side. Remove to a plate.
4. To the same pot, pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the mushrooms and onions, stirring to coat with oil. Cook for about 1 - 2 minutes, stirring until browned. Remove from pot to bowl for later.
5. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pot. Add pumpkin and cook for about 2 - 3 minutes. Add chicken and simmer together for 1 - 2 minutes, taking care not to burn the pumpkin. Add broth and bring to boil. Chicken breasts do not need to be completely immersed in the broth (just halfway). Cover and cook over medium to medium low heat (gently bubbling) for about 3 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
6. Into a bowl, pour a few tablespoons of the broth from the pot. Add 3 tablespoons coconut cream and mix. Add the remaining coconut cream and mix. Pour the cream into the pan with the chicken. Add the parsley and gently mix to evenly distribute the sauce. Add the mushrooms and onions back to pot. Cook, uncovered, for about 1 minute, until the sauce has thickened slightly.