cooking oil spray
2 cups no added sugars tomato sauce or marinara sauce
1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces (may use chicken leg quarters or any chicken pieces)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
4 bay leaves
1 green bell pepper, seeded and large cut
1 red bell pepper, seeded and large cut
1⁄2 cup red onion, large chopped
chopped parsley, optional for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a roasting pan with cooking oil spray.
2. Pour the Tomato Sauce into the roasting pan, place the chicken pieces skin side up into the sauce and sprinkle each piece evenly with the dry spices. (Reserve the bell peppers and onions to add later.)
3. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
4. Remove the chicken from the oven and add the bell peppers and onions. Continue baking uncovered until well browned, about 1 hour and 15 minutes more, until meat is falling off the bones. Serve with sauce over the chicken and sprinkled with fresh chopped parsley if desired.
5. Add small whole button mushrooms or green beans for a heartier meal and a few ounces of red wine will take it up yet another level! Calories 590 /Fat 24g/ Protein 68g/ Fiber 3g/ Net Carbs 6