2 cups white whole-wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups reduced-fat milk
Nonstick cooking spray
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
8 tablespoons maple syrup (one per waffle)
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together butter and sugar.
3. Add vanilla, eggs and finally milk, whisking to incorporate.
4. Pour liquid mixture into dry mixture and mix with a spatula, just until combined, allowing batter to remain lumpy.
5. Set aside and allow to rest while waffle maker heats.
6. Heat waffle maker according to manufacturer's directions, usually about 5 minutes.
7. A well-heated waffle maker will ensure waffles that are crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
8. Spray with nonstick spray.
9. Pour batter onto center of each compartment, measuring a heaping ¼ cup for each waffle.
10. Bake 5 minutes, or until waffle maker stops steaming.
11. Dust with powdered sugar.
12. Serve with warm maple syrup.