3/4 cup milk
2 x 7g packets dry yeast
1 cup caster sugar
pinch of salt
4 1/2 cups plain flour
220g butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons cinnamon
vegetable or light olive oil
1. Heat milk over low heat until just warm.
2. Remove from heat and pour into a jug.
3. Add yeast, 2 tablespoons caster sugar, and salt.
4. Whisk with a fork until well-combined.
5. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
6. Sift flour into a large bowl.
7. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add 1/4 cup caster sugar, stirring until well-combined.
8. Make a well in the centre.
9. Add yeast mixture and eggs.
10. Mix until well-combined.
11. Drop mixture onto a floured surface. Knead for 10 minutes. Place dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Stand in a warm place for 45 minutes.
12. Combine remaining caster sugar and cinnamon on a plate.
13. Knock down dough and turn onto a lightly floured board.
14. Cut dough in half and knead each piece for 5 minutes.
15. Roll one piece out to 1 1/4cm thick.
16. Cut 8cm circles with a biscuit cutter. Using a 4cm round cutter, cut out centre of each circle to form donuts. Continue with remaining dough.
17. Half-fill a frypan with oil. Heat over medium heat until oil is hot.
18. Add 2 to 3 donuts at a time, cooking for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden.
19. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
20. Toss donuts, one at a time, in cinnamon sugar until well-coated.