3 tablespoons olive oil
1 white onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
3 carrots, diced
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
1 cup white rice
16 ounces wild rice
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup vegetable broth
4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat oil, onion, celery, garlic, and carrots in a pan over medium heat for 10 minutes.
3. Prepare wild rice and white rice according to package instructions.
4. Stir in chicken, rices, and a dash of salt, pepper, and garlic salt.
5. Reduce heat to low.
6. In a medium pan over high heat, melt butter.
7. Whisk in flour, vegetable broth, and a sprinkle of salt & pepper.
8. Continue to whisk until boiling.
9. Add 2 cups of the shredded cheddar and continue to stir until melted.
10. Transfer chicken and rice mixture to a greased 9×13 baking dish.
11. Pour cheese sauce over rices and top with remaining cheddar.
12. Bake for 30-35 minutes.