1½ cups basmati rice
1½ tsp. table salt
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
¾ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
1 medium orange, zested
1 lemon, zested
½ cup pine nuts, toasted
1 cup thinly sliced green onions
1. For basmati: bring 4 qts. water to a boil in a Dutch oven.
2. Meanwhile, warm a medium, non-stick skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the basmati and toast for about 5 minutes, until fragrant and opaque, stirring constantly.
4. Once the water is boiling, add the salt and bring the water back to a boil.
5. Add the basmati to the boiling water and cook until it is just cooked through, about 15 minutes.
6. Drain and spread the rice on a parchment-covered baking sheet to cool.
7. For the dressing: mix together the citrus juices, soy sauce, and honey.
8. Whisk in the oil.
9. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
10. For the salad: once the basmati is cooled, fluff it with a fork.
11. Stir in the herbs, citrus zest, nuts and onions.
12. Add dressing, to taste.