2 cups balsamic vinegar
3 whole ripe tomatoes, sliced thick
12 ounces, weight Mozzarella cheese, sliced thick
fresh basil leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a small saucepan, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil over medium-low heat.
2. Cook for 10 to 20 minutes, or until balsamic has reduced to a thicker glaze.
3. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl or cruet.
4. Allow to cool.
5. When you're ready to serve, arrange tomato and mozzarella slices on a platter.
6. Arrange basil leaves between the slices.
7. Drizzle olive oil over the top of the salad, getting a little bit on each slice.
8. Do the same with the balsamic reduction, making designs if you want.
9. Store extra balsamic reduction in fridge for a later use.
10. End with a sprinkling of kosher salt and black pepper.
11. Serve as a lunch, with crusty bread or serve alongside a beef main course for dinner.