8 medium onions, sliced
5 tbsp. butter, divided
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
3/4 cup beef broth
1/4 cup sherry or additional beef broth
1-1/2 cups salad croutons
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
3 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large skillet, saute onions in 3 tbsp. butter until tender.
2. Stir in flour and pepper until blended; gradually add broth and sherry.
3. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until thickened.
4. Transfer onto an ungreased 9" square baking pan.
5. In a microwave, melt the remaining butter.
6. Add the croutons; toss to coat.
7. Spoon over the onion mixture.
8. Sprinkle with cheeses.
9. Broil 3-4" from heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.