1/3 - 1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch / cornflour
4 cups frozen unsweetened pitted tart red cherries
1 cup crumbled shortbread cookie
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup chopped pecans or almonds, toasted
Ice cream (optional)
1. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch.
2. In a large saucepan, sprinkle cornstarch mixture over cherries; stir to combine.
3. Cook and stir over medium heat about 10 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
4. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
5. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, thoroughly combine crumbled cookies, melted butter, and nuts.
6. Divide cherry mixture among four dessert dishes. Sprinkle cookie mixture over cherry mixture. If desired, serve with ice cream.