2.5 cups condensed cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup (the equivalent of 2 cans)
1/2 cup milk
1.5 lbs. yukon gold potatoes, very thinly sliced (no thicker than 1/8")
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small white onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and freshly-ground black pepper
1 lemon, thinly sliced and halved (into half coins)
1. Preheat oven to 180/425 degrees F. Add condensed soup and milk to a saucepan and whisk to combine.
2. Heat over medium-high heat until simmering, stirring frequently. When it reaches a simmer, remove from heat and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a separate large mixing bowl, add potatoes, onion, garlic, and chicken. Pour in the condensed soup mixture, along with a generous pinch of salt and pepper, and gently toss to combine until the potato and chicken mixture is evenly coated.
4. Transfer mixture to a 9 x 13 baking dish. Tuck lemon wedges into the mixture randomly. Then cover the top of the pan with aluminum foil.
5. Bake for 1 hour or until the potatoes are tender.
6. Carefully remove the foil, and change oven to the high "broil" setting. Broil the casserole for an extra 2-3 minutes to crisp up the top, watching very carefully so that it does not burn. Remove pan from oven and serve warm.